Tuesday, September 28, 2004
He then quotes Benjamin Franklin.
What if Junior wins--or steals it again? (And how will we know the difference with no paper trail in most states?) What if the worst happens? And it is the worst--the worst for the environment, for the economy, for privacy, for the Constitution, for women's rights, workers' rights, human rights, for product safety and protection from corporate market manipulation, for political stability and global stability, for democracy itself. In every single one of those areas this radical conservative Admin has proved itself, time and again, to be an utter disaster, a boil on the neck of society, a plague, thoroughly useless and contemptibly corrupt, yadda yadda yadda.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.Please, read this post in it's entirety.
The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.
Gentlemen, you have your democracy--if you can keep it.
so close to the election: Football Fans For Truth
Thieves stole two diamonds worth more than $14.2 million from a display case at a Paris antique show near the Louvre on Monday, police said.
Also, Conan will replace Jay Leno in five years.
Sunday, September 26, 2004
Not bold = not done
01. Bought everyone in the pub a drink
02. Swam with wild dolphins
03. Climbed a mountain
04. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid
06. Held a tarantula.
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone
08. Said 'I love you' and meant it
09. Hugged a tree
10. Done a striptease
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Stayed up all night long, and watch the sun rise
15. Seen the Northern Lights
16. Gone to a huge sports game
17. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
18. Grown and eaten your own vegetables
19. Touched an iceberg
20. Slept under the stars
21. Changed a baby's diaper
22. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
23. Watched a meteor shower
24. Gotten drunk on champagne
25. Given more than you can afford to charity
26. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
27. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
28. Had a food fight (junior high)
29. Bet on a winning horse
30. Taken a sick day when you're not ill
31. Asked out a stranger
32. Had a snowball fight
33. Photocopied your bottom on the office photocopier
34. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
35. Held a lamb
36. Enacted a favorite fantasy
37. Taken a midnight skinny dip
38. Taken an ice cold bath
39. Had a meaningful conversation with a beggar
40. Seen a total eclipse
41. Ridden a roller coaster
42. Hit a home run
43. Fit three weeks miraculously into three days
44. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
45. Adopted an accent for an entire day
46. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
47. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
48. Had two hard drives for your computer
49. Visited all 50 states
50. Loved your job for all accounts
51. Taken care of someone who was shit faced
52. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
53. Had amazing friends
54. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
55. Watched wild whales
56. Stolen a sign
57. Backpacked in Europe
58. Taken a road-trip
59. Rock climbing
60. Lied to foreign government's official in that country to avoid notice
61. Midnight walk on the beach
62. Sky diving
63. Visited Ireland
64. Been heartbroken longer then you were actually in love
65. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger's table and had a meal with them
66. Visited Japan
67. Benchpressed your own weight
68. Milked a cow
69. Alphabetized your records
70. Pretended to be a superhero
71. Sung karaoke
72. Lounged around in bed all day
73. Posed nude in front of strangers
74. Scuba diving
75. Got it on to "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
76. Kissed in the rain
77. Played in the mud
78. Played in the rain
79. Gone to a drive-in theater
80. Done something you should regret, but don't regret it
81. Visited the Great Wall of China
82. Discovered that someone who's not supposed to have known about your blog has discovered your blog
83. Dropped Windows in favor of something better
84. Started a business
85. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
86. Toured ancient sites
87. Taken a martial arts class
88. Swordfought for the honor of a woman
89. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
90. Gotten married
91. Been in a movie
92. Crashed a party
93. Loved someone you shouldn't have
94. Kissed someone so passionately it made them dizzy
95. Gotten divorced
96. Had sex at the office
97. Gone without food for 5 days
98. Made cookies from scratch
99. Won first prize in a costume contest
100. Ridden a gondola in Venice
101. Gotten a tattoo
102. Found that the texture of some materials can turn you on
103. Rafted the Snake River
104. Been on television news programs as an "expert"
105. Got flowers for no reason
106. Masturbated in a public place
107. Got so drunk you don't remember anything
108. Been addicted to some form of illegal drug
109. Performed on stage
110. Been to Las Vegas
111. Recorded music
112. Eaten shark
114. Gone to Thailand
115. Seen Siouxsie live
116. Bought a house
117. Been in a combat zone
118. Buried one/both of your parents
119. Shaved or waxed your pubic hair off
120. Been on a cruise ship
121. Spoken more than one language fluently
122. Gotten into a fight while attempting to defend someone
123. Bounced a check
124. Performed in Rocky Horror
125. Read - and understood - your credit report
126. Raised children
127. Recently bought and played with a favorite childhood toy
128. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
129. Created and named your own constellation of stars
130. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
131. Found out something significant that your ancestors did
132. Called or written your Congress person
133. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
134. ...more than once? - More than thrice?
135. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
136. Sang loudly in the car, and didn't stop when you knew someone was looking
137. Had an abortion or your female partner did
138. Had plastic surgery
139. Survived an accident that you shouldn't have survived.
140. Wrote articles for a large publication
141. Lost over 100 pounds (not all at once, mind you)
142. Held someone while they were having a flashback
143. Piloted an airplane
144. Petted a stingray
145. Broken someone's heart
146. Helped an animal give birth
147. Been fired or laid off from a job
148. Won money on a T.V. game show
149. Broken a bone
150. Killed a human being
151. Gone on an African photo safari
152. Ridden a motorcycle
153. Driven any land vehicle at a speed of greater than 100mph
154. Had a body part of yours below the neck pierced
155. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
156. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild
157. Ridden a horse
158. Had major surgery
159. Had sex on a moving train
160. Had a snake as a pet
161. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
162. Slept through an entire flight: takeoff, flight, and landing
163. Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
164. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
165. Visited all 7 continents
166. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
167. Eaten kangaroo meat
168. Fallen in love at an ancient Mayan burial ground
169. Been a sperm or egg donor
170. Eaten sushi
171. Had your picture in the newspaper
172. Had 2 (or more) healthy romantic relationships for over a year in your lifetime
173. Changed someone's mind about something you care deeply about
174. Gotten someone fired for their actions
175. Gone back to school
177. Changed your name
178. Petted a cockroach
179. Eaten fried green tomatoes
180. Read The Iliad
181. Selected one "important" author who you missed in school, and read
182. Dined in a restaurant and stolen silverware, plates, cups because your apartment needed them
183. ...and gotten 86'ed from the restaurant because you did it so many times, they figured out it was you
184. Taught yourself an art from scratch
185. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
186. Apologized to someone years after inflicting the hurt
187. Skipped all your school reunions
188. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
189. Been elected to public office
190. Written your own computer language
191. Thought to yourself that you're living your dream
192. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
193. Built your own PC from parts
194. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn't know you
195. Had a booth at a street fair
196: Dyed your hair
197: Been a DJ
198: Found out someone was going to dump you via LiveJournal
199: Written your own role playing game
200: Been arrested
* from thoughts interrupted [quiz]
There was no letdown, as Donovan McNabb threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as the Eagles cruised to a 30-13 win on the road at Detroit. The win gave the Eagles their first 3-0 start since 1993. Terrell Owens, one of eight players to catch passes, caught six passes for 107 yards and David Akers added three field goals.
and by the way, congrats to the Atlanta Braves for winning their 13th consecutive division title. that's impressive. let's see what they do now.
Friday, September 24, 2004
every year when discussing theory, i ask my class to raise their hand if they are a feminist. in a class of about 40, each semester, one or two girls raise their hands.
then i ask how many students believe that men and women should be treated equally. undoubtedly, about 30 more hands rise to the air.
then i tell them that they are all feminists. many are not pleased.
* this bumper sticker graces my KIA.
Thursday, September 23, 2004
however, upon glancing around the site, i began to read traditional values defined. it is the usual conservative bible-loving mumbo-jumbo, but look at what they say under the heading of 'discrimination and tolerance:'
We are not tolerant of behaviors that destroy individuals, families, and our culture. Individuals may be free to pursue such behaviors as sodomy, but we will not and cannot tolerate these behaviors. They frequently lead to death.death!?! oh, the humanity.
The Atlanta study also found that about a third of black men who had lost the right to vote because of a felony had been convicted of drug crimes.for more info, see here.
"This is important," Mr. King said, "because drug arrests are inherently discretionary." Other research has shown that blacks do not use drugs more than whites but are arrested on drug charges, and convicted, at a much higher rate.
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Monday, September 20, 2004
'The inmates who have been freed spent a total of over 1000 years between sentencing and exoneration. The average exoneration took 9 years.'
Thursday, September 16, 2004
You are charming, talented and have a very positive attitude to life so it is hardly surprising that you attract success and recognition. Focussed and patient you understand that material rewards are a result of discipline. Being so creative and with a need for self-expression you may be drawn towards the arts, travel is also likely to be important. A loyal friend, you are a person who must be allowed freedom and independence.
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Sunday, September 12, 2004
The Eagles used big plays and plenty of them in disposing of the division rival Giants, 31-17, in the season opener at Lincoln Financial Field. Donovan McNabb threw for 300-plus yards and four touchdowns, three of them to his newest weapon, Terrell Owens.
10. Ideal culture- Everyone's a perfect driver, and pedestrians always have the right-of-way.
9. Real culture- GET OUTTA MY WAY!
8. Norms- You know, we really should drive the speed limit.
7. Folkways- You know, we really should drive no more than five miles over the speed limit.
6. Mores- If you're gonna go under the limit, stay out of the left lane.
5. Taboo- If you're gonna put on your make-up, read the morning paper, and talk on your cell phone while eating a cheese danish, stay out of the left lane.
4. Value- Tail-gating is not generally a good idea.
3. Rationalization- They didn't really need that tail light.
2. Groupthink- Everyone's going 80 mph-I'm just keeping up.
1. American work ethic- Road Crew: Let 'em Work, Let 'em Live"
|Doctor Unheimlich has diagnosed me with
|Symptoms:||thirst for human blood, vertigo, automatic writing, hovering|
|Cure:||paint a black cross on your front door and wait|
Friday, September 10, 2004
Wednesday, September 08, 2004
Tate was 12 in 1999 when he killed Tiffany Eunick, whom his mother was baby-sitting. He initially claimed he accidentally killed the girl while imitating professional wrestling moves he had seen on television. But prosecutors said the girl was brutally beaten to death.this case is what made me passionate about juvenile transfer...this is the case that prompted me to write my thesis on the topic [titled 'Crossing the Line: Juvenile Transfer and Prison Violence' btw]. well, he's now 17 and he was arrested for carrying a pocket knife and therefore violating his probation. he could be sentenced to life [again] for this. if that happens, some heads are going to roll. i'll have to write some letters. make some calls. take a trip to Florida...something. it's insane.
An appeals court threw out Tate's first-degree murder conviction last year, ruling he might not have understood the criminal proceedings against him.
Labels: crime and social justice
no one cared when i got a ticket. and i paid it well ahead of the deadline for contesting it.
Friday, September 03, 2004
147.9 million: Number of people age 16 or older in the nation’s labor force in July 2004.
$39,429 and $30,203: The annual median earnings, respectively, for male and female full-time, year-round workers in 2002.
20.1 million: Number of female workers in education, health and social services industries. More women work in this industry group than in any other. Manufacturing was the most popular industry among men, with 11.8 million workers.
24.4 minutes: The average time it takes to commute to work. Nationally, the daily commute takes an hour or more for 7 percent of workers.
you made it down here?
what? you want a reward?